Thursday, October 18, 2012

DIY Ruffled Lampshade

Pin It
When I was preggers with my now three month old, I was obsessing over the nursery. I wanted something soft, sweet, and kid-like but not too kiddish (see what I mean by obsessing). Basically I didn't want something she would grow out of too fast and I wanted someplace that I would feel relaxed in as well. I figure we will let her do whatever she wants with her room when she gets a little older and we know what her likes and interests are. So I decided to do a soft pink wall color with white bedding and window coverings, and accents of sage green. This is a long way of getting to my DIY experiment. I wanted a fun lamp, but the kid ones were (you guessed it) too kiddish. So I bought a shabby chic lamp from target that had a crystal base with the intention of finding a fun lampshade to replace the boring white one it came with.
Well lampshades are more expensive than I imagined and even then, I was having trouble finding what I wanted. Until I came across a few ideas on Pinterest. Like this one and this one. Oh, and this one. So I decided to venture out on my own and see what I could come up with. Let me preface this by saying that I do not know how to sew... so until the day I finally find time to learn, all my crafts will be no-sew! Back to the story...I had made some fabric flowers for headbands in the past, so I figured I could just make a bunch of fabric flowers and glue them to the boring white shade that came with the lamp. Here's the final product:
It was very cheap to make and I think it turned out well...although it did require more flowers (i.e. time) than I thought. To make the flowers I cut some white fabric quarters into one-inch strips (they were about 18 inches long). Then I folded them in half "hot-dog style" and started rolling them up and twisting them at the same time...gluing sporadically as I went along. This sounds harder than it is. It's ok if one flower doesn't look like the next because that's how they are found in nature anyway (real flowers, not fake flowers;). Next time,I'll be sure to take pictures as I go along. Here's one more pic with the lamp turned on. A plus- baby girl really likes they way it looks lit up.

No comments:

Post a Comment